John Shaw has worked with Blanchard & Thomas, LLP since 2017 as an “Of Counsel” Associate Attorney. John handles primarily personal injury cases for the Firm, and he has been a tremendous advocate for our clients in and out of the courtroom.
From a legal aid lawyer, to practicing in one of the most prominent and respected law firms in Fort Worth, John has gained considerable experience representing clients in state courts and administrative agencies. Regardless of where he has practiced, John has always had a deep-seated interest in the specific problems that his clients face in some of the darkest times of their lives. John is always prepared to work his hardest to obtain the best results for his clients. Whether that involves simple negotiation, pre-trial settlement in alternative dispute resolution, or trial, every decision that John makes is driven by his client’s best interests.
John’s peers have consistently recognized him for his hard work and dedication to his legal craft. John has been A.V. Rated by Martindale-Hubbel, a lawyer rating directory, as a “Preeminent Lawyer,” the highest rating that a lawyer can receive, since 2014. In 2017 and again in 2018, John was named a Rising Star by Superlawyers Magazine, a Thompson Reuters publication. Only 4% of eligible Texas lawyers receive this distinction each year. Every year from 2009 to 2019 John has been recognized by Fort Worth, Texas Magazine, as one of the Top Lawyers in Fort Worth. He was also recognized by 360 West magazine as a Top Attorney in Fort Worth 2017 – 2019.
John has been actively involved in legal organizations at both the local and statewide level, and he has been elected by his peers to several offices in those organizations in which he is a member. He is a Past-President of the Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association, was a Director and Treasurer of the Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA), and was nominated by TYLA as one of the two President-Elect candidates for the organization in 2015. John was elected Chairman of the TYLA Board of Directors for the 2017 – 2018 state bar term.
John is passionate about access to justice. He firmly believes that everyone, regardless of their financial position, should be able to turn towards the American Jury System, the best legal system in the world, to address their grievances and right wrongs that have been done to them. In that regard, John currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors of a non-profit law firm based out of Austin called Texas Legal Services Center (TLSC). TLSC provides assistance and training to poverty law advocates and their clients in the areas of litigation support, education, and communication. John is also a former board member of The Ladder Alliance, a non-profit organization that provides women victims of domestic violence or low-income women with the tools to lead self-reliant, independent, and successful lives through education and training.
John grew up in Lubbock and San Antonio. He called Fort Worth home for more than twelve years, but he has made his way back home to San Antonio as of 2019. He and his wife Kelsey are the proud parents of two amazing little boys.
- St. Mary’s University School of Law (J.D. 2006)
- Wayland Baptist University (B.S.O.E. Criminal Justice 2003)
Honors and Awards:
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbel®, Preeminent™, 2014 - Present
- Rising Star, Superlawyers Magazine, a Thompson Reuters publication, 2017, 2018
- Fort Worth, Texas Magazine Top Attorney, 2009-2019
- 360 West Magazine Top Attorney, 2017 - 2019
- Awarded “Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Advocacy in Representing the Mothers of the Children of the YFZ Ranch,” Presented by the Poverty Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, 2009
Involved in the Community:
- San Antonio Trial Lawyers Association; Director (2020 – Present)
- Texas Young Layers Association; Chair (2017-2018)
- Texas Young Lawyers Association; Chair-Elect (2016-2017)
- Texas Young Lawyers Association; Treasurer (2014-2015)
- Texas Young Lawyers Association; Director, District 10, Place 2 (2012-2016)
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association; President (2012)
- Texas Legal Services Corporation; Chair (2016-Present)
- Texas Legal Services Corporation; Vice-Chair (2013-2016)
- Texas Legal Services Corporation; Director (2012-2013)
- Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court; Barrister (2013-2016)
- Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court; Associate (2009-2011)
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- State Bar of Texas
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Tarrant County Trial Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas