Paternity Attorneys in Waco, TX
Helping You Establish Paternity
When a married couple has a child, they are both presumed to be the mother and father of the child. However, in cases where parents are unmarried, the child will not automatically have a formal relationship with the father. Establishing paternity in such cases is crucial for numerous reasons and the team at Blanchard & Thomas, PLLC in Waco can help you with the process. We understand how important this is and will skillfully guide you through every step. Time is of the essence in these situations. Call today!
How is Paternity Established?
If you were not married when your child was born, there are other ways to establish paternity.
Below are some of the most common methods used for establishing paternity:
- DNA testing
- The mother and father sign a “recognition of parentage” document, stating that they agree to the identity of the child’s father, which must be done in front of a witness
- A man lives with, cares for, and acknowledges the child as his own and provides the child with support for a certain period of time
- The mother and father agree to write the father’s name on the child’s birth certificate
Why is it Important to Establish Paternity?
Establishing paternity can benefit everyone involved, particularly the child who can benefit from the support of both parents.
Below are some of the benefits of establishing paternity:
- The child can have a relationship with his or her father, which can improve social and emotional health.
- It will help the child achieve a sense of identity and allow him or her to establish relationships with extended family members.
- If the mother and father are not together, establishing paternity will allow the father to have custody rights, so he can maintain a bond with the child, regardless of his relationship with the mother.
- Parents are expected to financially support their children. Once paternity is established, the child will be able to receive financial support, including child support, life insurance, social security benefits, and other inheritance rights.
- Establishing paternity is also important for medical purposes. Your child’s doctor will need to know about the father’s medical history to become aware of any genetic diseases or traits that might impact your child.
Get Started on Establishing Paternity and Contact Our Waco Law Office Today!
If you had your child out of wedlock and would like to establish paternity, the legal team at Blanchard & Thomas, PLLC in Waco and San Antonio can assist you with the process. Too many fathers fail to support their children. We are overjoyed when we get to fight for fathers who welcome that obligation for the benefit of a child. We know how crucial it is to take this step and what it means for your child. You can rely on our experienced team to provide the legal support and guidance you need.
We play to win. While we cannot guarantee outcomes in any case, we always do our best to see that our clients come out on top. We want our clients to know without question that their success matters to us personally.
We play hard, we play fast, and we stick to the game plan. We work with every client to develop a strategy most likely to bring about their success. We work hard to ensure the strategy gives our client every advantage possible and their very best chance at success. We then implement that strategy as quickly and efficiently as possible.
We build our relationships upon a foundation of total honesty. Absolute honesty allows the client and the attorney to develop trust that will be absolutely critical to success in and out of the courtroom.
We make a commitment to communication. We begin and end many of our days communicating with clients. Our clients can count on us to return phone calls and/or e-mails within 24 to 48 hours except in emergencies or during announced absences from the office. We want our clients to know what we know and vice-versa. We want to ensure they can make informed decisions from start to finish.
While the attorney client relationship may not always result in friendship, we believe it should always result in mutual respect. We zealously advocate on our clients’ behalf whether we agree with their choices or not. We do not judge our client’s choices; we simply attempt to help them learn from them, live with them, and overcome them.
We serve at the clients’ pleasure. If for any reason whatsoever the client decides he/she is better off with a different attorney or law firm, we will respectfully and professionally do whatever we can to get the new attorney or law firm up to speed and ready to handle the case. We vow to never object to a client’s request to seek alternative counsel, and we promise to return 100% of any unearned advance payments.